Monday, August 10, 2015

Adjourning

High-performing groups are the hardest groups to leave because you not only go through all of the group forming stages but actually master all of the stages successfully. Respect and trust are the clearest established norms. Groups with characteristics of respect, trust, and smart work vs. hard work are the hardest to leave. I learned early in my career that smart work is favored better than hard work. Ex. I could work hard cleaning my classroom of painted tables and easel everyday but that wouldn't be smart. It would instead be smart to teach my students painting rules and cleaning tatics. 

In my last position as an Early Head Start Teacher was at a high quality school and I loved it. There was a extremely high morale and teachers/staff put children first. Having these qualities in a group made it hardest to leave. My closing with the group didn't take place because I went into premature labor but other closing rituals included reward ceremonies, baby showers before a maternity leave, and or socials with lunch b provided.

Now I have moved on and found a new group of colleagues. I imagine that we will adjourn from our group at the commencement ceremony. Making sure that we celebrate our accomplishments together.

No comments:

Post a Comment