Wednesday, May 13, 2015

My Family Culture

Family Picture

Hair Comb
Image result for hair combs african american
Bible                                           Image result for tiny bible

How you would explain to others what each of these items means to you?

A picture of my family will show my husband and two children that I love dearly. This picture will bring unconditional love to mind along with a wonderful marriage and two childbirth experiences. This picture will have endless stories of my two two angels and they're growth before my eyes. 

The comb would represent the countless bonding experiencing with the women in my family. We practice so many design with our hair as African Americans I refer to it as our crowns. My mom braided and combed my hair into some many different styles. I recall my grandmother giving the ultimate perms and hot comb press. Now today I comb my daughters hair into ponytails, beads, braids. The crowns on our heads are forever changing and a journey in itself. 

Lastly I would take a small bible. This will be reminder to my faith and how trusting God has been with others and myself. Delivering others from evil and providing perfect peace. 

Your feelings if, upon arrival, you were told that you could only keep one personal item and have to give up the other two items you brought with you.

I would be hurt but ultimately I would keep my bible. My bible with sustain my losses. Through prayer, worship, and faith I would be able to move on another country and live successfully with God creating my path. 

Any insights you gained about yourself, your family culture, diversity, and/or cultural differences in general, as a result of this exercise.

I was able to recognize how much time, money and energy myself and family discuss hair. Describe our hair as crowns is the perfect analogy because from infant to womanhood our women "Get our hair done!" We are blessed with course, kinky, curly hair that cannot be left untamed unless we want to look that way. But this exercise really made me think about how important it is to know how to do hair in order to save time, money and energy. It also made me realize all of the memories created from doing hair and getting my hair done and how is passed on down from generation to generation. 

3 comments:

  1. Jacqualine,

    I remember those days of getting my hair pressed. Those were the days when our crowns were important to us. I rarely seen another girl with her hair untamed. Today, it's another story.

    I choose to keep a Bible that has been in my family for years. Reading it daily will help to sustain your faith and keep your mind God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline

    I really love that you chose a hair comb! The explanation really ties into your culture, and gives the item great meaning! I also really like your chose of the bible. The bible will probably give you hope in your time of need. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you recognized the importance the comb has played in your family's culture, as well as in your community culture. I also enjoyed your description of the importance of taking care of your hair and how it has been an activity that has bonded the women together.

    ReplyDelete