Monday, May 25, 2015

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

Image result for diversity

Out of my three interviews I choose to share my former co-worker's definition of culture, and diversity. My co-worker is Mexican and was born and raised in Mexico. Today she appreciates living in the United States."In the U.S my family has more opportunities and here feels safer and secure than my home country." My co-worked is older in age getting close to retirement. Here are her thoughts about culture and diversity.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
"I think of culture as a personal connection with family. Culture is a way of living, its how people live, act, and think."

"Diversity is culture, hair color, size, race, demographics. Diversity highlights our differences as people."

My co-worker's definitions is very closely aligned with what we're studying in this course. She mentioned it being a way people live but did not go in depth. The way we live involves surface culture and deep culture. It's not only the way dress, look, and eat but also our values, language, and gender roles. On the other hand diversity does involve our differences. Our different demographics highlights our differences.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Hearing others definitions of culture and diversity influenced my own thinking about these topics The fact that the U.S is seen as a place of endless possibilities and resources changed my view of America. Often as a citizen you make focus on everything that's wrong in America. Other than that my personal definitions remain the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment