Sunday, May 31, 2015

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions


  • Describe at least one example of a microaggression which you detected this week or remember from another time. In what context did the microaggression happen? What did you think and feel when you observed the microaggression or when you found yourself as the target of a microaggression?
This week I was able to observe a mother accompanied with her two children mistreated for using a  SNAP card.Before I made this conclusion I observed 3 people ahead of the woman greeted with a smile and greeting but she did not. She was simply asked "Is that all?" It was clear that the clerk did not smile or greet her. The clerk seemed to be disturbed about her method of payment with his facial expression and tapping of his fingers on the counter. When I observed this microagggression take place I was furious. Social class discrimination is worst type. A mother with two children should not be discriminated 
for receiving government assistance especially when that program was created to help. Recently in the news we have learned that the wages for  low skill jobs can barely feed one person. Minimum wages were stagnated for so long that the gap between the wealthy and poor remains higher. 
  • In what ways did your observation experiences this week affect your perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people.
Discrimination, prejudice, and stereotypes are alive and well in America. This week I was able to observe numerous microagressions take place in person and on television. Television shows often utilize comedy to of set the discrimination sexual discrimination and racial was the most often depicted. 

2 comments:

  1. Jacqualine,
    The teller's attitude toward this mother was inexcusable. Do you think that you were more aware of his behavior do to our study? You mentioned the microaggressions seen on television. I remember when I took a Sociology class one of our assignments was to watch TV for a half hour and pay particular attention to the commercials. We were to keep track of the types of people depicted in the commercials - race, age, sex. Not surprisingly, there were many more white people in general, and white men specifically. Before this assignment, I had a vague knowledge that this was the case, but it really opened my eyes to the extent that it was true. I think that the lopsidedness of the use of people of color versus white people is in itself a microaggression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say I am somewhat judgemental of people who use wic and food and food stamps. I am not sure why I have this opinion. It is not directed toward random folks but when I am familiar with the family I often know just a little too much and that is sometimes not a good thing. I know for certain that I am conscious of this and that I would never show this attitude toward someone especially a stranger. You are right that classism is a huge issue especially with social media and other media talking about the politics behind welfare reform.

    ReplyDelete