Sunday, July 19, 2015

Communicating with Other Cultures



Image result for communicating with other culturesWhen I thought about my interactions with people of different cultures and groups it became aware that I do communicate differently with them. Ex. I use high language and never code switch when speaking with someone of a different culture. This is because I am aware that people from other cultures learn formal English and I'm not aware of how much slang or jargon an individual would understand. Another reason I use high language is because I have experiences exchanging words with people from other cultures and often they have thick accents. Sometimes it is hard for me to understand them and so I prefer them to use high language as well.  Lastly, I always ask people from other cultures where are they from if they have an accent. Knowing where they come from opens up an opportunity to get know their culture better, which I love to do! 


1 comment:

  1. Hello Jacqualine,

    I found the same thing that I use various words choices when speaking with different groups of people. When I talk to me friend I may use code words and phrases. When speaking with my mom I use "yes ma'am" and talk respectful. When speaking with parents of children in my class I speak in correct English. I can relate to your post. It is nice to ask people where they are from and some people may take it differently. I think you had some great points!

    Ashley Baldwin

    ReplyDelete